Monday 29 August 2016

Yorkshire Marathon 2016 - a change of plan!

The focus as regular readers will know has been to put in a massive block of training for the Yorkshire Marathon on October 9th 2016 in the hope of getting into the shape of my life for an attempt at a PB. Training has been going very well and I feel I am 'getting there' in terms of fitness and in terms my overall condition. There is a slight change of plan however and it's quite an exciting one! I have taken the decision to withdraw from this year's Yorkshire marathon and whilst I will miss the opportunity to race in the 'Yorkshire Championships' I have had an offer I simply cannot refuse. Due to the unfortunate situation of a couple of runners having to withdraw I have been called up to represent England at the Scotiabank Toronto Waterfront Marathon on 16th October!

I am so excited it is difficult to put into words. When I started running as an unhealthy, overweight mess after such a long hiatus on March 5th 2008 with a goal of trying to shed some of the weight I had inexplicably put on during my 20s never did I imagine I would get the opportunity to run for my country. Nevermind in the event that had always inspired me so much, the marathon! I simply wanted to look in the mirror and not be ashamed of how I had let myself go. I didn't foresee how much I would fall in love with running and how much I simply cant live without it now. Yes I'm obsessive, and have a severe running problem. It pretty much takes up most of my 'free' thinking space much to my darling wife Hania's annoyance.
 
Over the years that followed I gradually got quicker and set myself incremental target by incremental target until a couple of years ago when I thought that a 'vest' might just be possible. And so it turned out. I will feel so honoured to travel with my England teammates to Canada and try to do the vest justice. I know I will never be a World or Olympic Champion, but I know I can continue to get better and faster. Thank you Running for what you have given me, the friends I have met along the way and experiences I have had so far. Where I end up I don't know but I can't wait to find out what's in store.

18 comments:

  1. That's great news! I enjoy your interesting (if niche!) blogs and your huge effort certainly deserves the international call-up. Just don't change anything apart from adjusting to the date - it's still just a marathon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow. Honoured that you would enjoy reading Dave. Thank you for your comments and for reading. I certainly don't plan on changing much at all. If anything it affords me an extra slightly easier week after a half marathon I'm racing next weekend.

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Really pleased for you Cherry picker! Great news.

    Hope you run better than I did!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Enjoy, wise comments from Dave

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ken. Agree re Dave's comments. I'll try not to get carried away! :-)

      Delete
  5. Fantastic achievement Jason, I'm really pleased for for you :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Amazing, Jase. Well done and well deserved

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ferg. Hope you're well mate. It's been too long!

      Delete
  7. Very glad Sir Steve has made more people aware of your blog. It's great reading and truly inspiring. Good luck with everything in future, will be keeping a keen eye! John

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks John. Steve is an inspiration to all and his training is immense. I'm very lucky he blogged all his training as it allowed me to unashamedly plagiarise it! All the best, Jason

      Delete
  8. Hi Jason-congrats on your call up for the England team. I have been following your training for a few months now and was wondering if you include strength and conditioning sessions as part of your weekly training? Thanks, stephen

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks Stephen, I'm afraid that is one aspect of my training that I could improve upon significantly. I have dabbled with a bit of core and strengthening and indeed got myself to a couple of circuits classes a few weeks ago. The problem I have is there are only so many hours in the day and I feel my time exercising is best spent running! I have a young family so life is pretty busy and by the time 9 pm comes around I'm ready to go to sleep. I'm sure I could fit some in if I really wanted to, one can always find a bit of time to do stuff if they really want to. Most of all though I find it really really boring!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for the reply-its really difficult to juggle the training with family life! I have tried to fit some of it in but struggle to get decent running sessions in after due to the doms!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great news and congratulations.....really shows what hard work can achieve....gluck with training and looking forward to reading the blog!

    ReplyDelete