Thursday 29 December 2011

Week 1: 19th - 25th December

My week went like this:

Mon 5 miles recovery (7:57mm avge)
Tue 9 miles including 4M @ 5:27mm (6:24 avge)
Wed 12.3 miles progressive (7:04mm avge)
Thu 5.9 miles recovery (7:24mm avge)
Fri 10 miles general aerobic (6:53mm avge)
Sat 17.1 miles progressive (7:01mm avge)
Sun 6 miles recovery (7:31mm avge)

Total 65.6 miles (7:04mm avge)

The first week of P&D and all went well - I hit every prescirbed run. I was particularly pleased with the Tempo run I did at 5:30am on the Tuesday. I was very pleased to be hitting that pace in the first week of the schedule. The heart rate was getting on the high side towards the end of the workout so perhaps it was a bit above Half Marathon effort but it probably did some good anyway! I decided to get out for my Long run on Christmas Eve so I wasn't getting the way of quality family time on Christmas day where I just plodded out a little 6 mile recovery run. The long run went ok and it didnt feel too long if that makes sense, just right for this stage of the game.

The beauty of P&D is that it has quite a bit of faster stuff in, especially the long runs where there are big chunks at marathon pace in some of them. The main way is to do them progressive though and start out c20% below MP then increase the pace until the last few miles are at 10% below MP. I have decided to do all my progressive runs to HR, rather than pace, gradually letting it rise throughout the run while the pace hopefully quickens. The routes I run are simply too undulating to get the 20-10% pace effective so it will have to be to HR effort.

For marathon paced and lactate threshold running I will do on the flattest part of Orpington,at least then I can try and get some consistency with pace.

All in all a good first week! :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment